amperometer... where is the shunt?

Designed by German Frers
paepi

amperometer... where is the shunt?

Postby paepi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 am

Hi there
my amperometer (the original with red leds) is not measuring any more any ampere (charge or discharge). First check should be the connections with the shunt... but from a quick check I could not find it. Any one has any idea where it is placed? anyone had the same issue?

best
r

streetcar

Re: amperometer... where is the shunt?

Postby streetcar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 am

Hello Paepi and welcome to the forum. On the GS52 there are two ampmeters on the 24v system, amps into batteries, and amps out. So we have two shunts. I will check their exact location tomorrow (I have always assumed they are in the spaghetti [sic] behind the breaker panel).

I have fitted an independent Victron Battery Monitor with its own shunt which is much more accurate and also provides me with an accumulated log of battery state of charge. I very much like this gadget and consider that my batteries last longer by following the data.

On the panel, the amps in and out are displayed through Startreck style red LED displays supplied by Binding Union. I have had a couple of these displays fail on me and fortunately the previous owner provided me with spares. If you have the same setup that could be your problem. Finding replacements could be a bigger problem. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

choel

Postby choel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Well, I have the same problem now. Still showing, but completely wrong. Same with the volt, showing 0.7-1 volt to little. Think I will solve this with a victron monitor, or find something newer that fits in the same hole as the old ones.
But after 23 years in marine conditions, can't ask for them to work. Time for upgrade :D
Joel
Grand Soleil 45 "Serenity"
Currently in Lavrio, Greece

streetcar

Postby streetcar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I think Binding Union still supply the displays, or an updated version which could be the same size

choel

Postby choel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Streetcar, do you have an url for this company. Googled it but only came up with bindings for snowboards, which is ok since I snowboard.. :D
Joel
Grand Soleil 45 "Serenity"
Currently in Lavrio, Greece

streetcar

Postby streetcar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I've attached their catalogue.

The web address is http://www.binding.it
Attachments
BU10-web.pdf
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 189 times

paepi

Postby paepi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:48 pm

ok, found the shunt... they are two, (amps in...amps out) on the back of the chart station seat. The problem anyway is not with the shunt but with the display... try to repair it otherwise will have to find a new one!

paepi

Postby paepi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:00 pm

streetcar

Postby streetcar » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks for the update. Did you manage to get your one repaired? If so what was the fault?

paepi

Postby paepi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Return to “Grand Soleil 52 (1987)”