cockpit table

Designed by German Frers
paepi

cockpit table

Postby paepi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi there
any idea on how to build a table for the cockpit? The original Frere idea, with the wooden floor to be used also as a table, does not seems very higienic to my wife. Any idea apreciated, better with photo.
best
r

Herminia

Re: cockpit table

Postby Herminia » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:08 pm

This is how I did in my last sailboat. It is not the perfect solution because you have to find a place to store the table. In my GS52 the original table (floor) is very soft and flexes when I stand on it. I will give it a try this summer and then decide if I will replace it with the same or find another solution. When I use it, I will put a plastic tablecloth on top.

Cockpit table.jpg
Cockpit table.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
---
Rune
Grand Soleil 52 "Herminia"
Cruising Spain

streetcar

Postby streetcar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 am

I did not know that the original idea was to use the cockpit floor as the table. How was this intended to work? Did the floor duckboard have fittings for supports? This is a very strange concept. On our GS52 we have a folding table that fits onto a teak shelf in front of the binnacle. There are two stainless legs that support the forward end of the table. I can provide pics if helpful.

paepi

Postby paepi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:02 am

starghost

Postby starghost » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Paepi,

I'm new of the forum, so maybe I mus introduce myself somewhere, but I didn't found where.

I own a 45 German Freres of '91 hull 32, EDIMETRA IV.

For the cockpit table I made one 60 x 120 (cm) in 2 pieces, one 80 cm and the other 40 cm, with hinges and sliding bars below.; under the 80 cm part sit the folding leg with wooden bits on the bottom that engage in the teack grid. Side steering wheel I have used bolts and bits for and from the paving grid.

It seems complicated but next days I will post some pics.

When folded, table is stored in the narrow fence between the companionway ladder and the aft toilet wall.

To transform the cockpit in a confortable sun bath Platform, I purchased 3 sawhorses, cut at 41 cm and that way I rise the grid; a 3 pieces cushion finish the job.

streetcar

Postby streetcar » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Welcome to the forum starghost.

Cockpit table pictures attached. There is a removable pin hinge at the aft end. At the forward end there are two removable stainless steel legs which insert into sockets on the underside of the table. Its not perfect as it is a little wobbly, but it can be easily removed and stored below. The main issue is that it is too long to allow it to hinge down into vertical position and be stowed lashed to the binnacle frame.
Attachments
DSC_0557.JPG
DSC_0549.JPG
DSC_0547.JPG

Return to “Grand Soleil 52 (1987)”